Are Your Gutters Ready?
What to look for when inspecting your Denver rain gutters?
Think snow. One snowflake is negligible, but millions add up. In fact, 1 cubic foot of snow weighs 20 pounds. Think about that for a moment. If you have a 2000 square foot roof, there is a total of 40,000 pounds sitting on top of you if it snows 12 inches! So you can see the importance of a pre-winter gutter inspection to make sure all gutters are clean and in full operational shape.
The Winter Gutter Inspection Checklist:
- Inspect shingles. Any missing or loose shingles? Replace before it snows!
- Look at the flashing around the chimney stack and roof obstacles which ensures melting ice does not drip into your castle.
- Clean out downspouts and gutters. Debris causes heavy snow melt to find alternative routes to slide down or into your home.
- Add insulation to your attic and crawlspaces. Not only will you save on heating, but this will prevent ice dams from forming through heat loss in these areas. Ice dams can destroy a house!
- Inspect the outflow portion of your downspouts. Are they to close to the foundation? A leading cause of home foundation failure is due to water deteriorating the foundation walls leading to cracks and soil erosion.
- Look in the attic (bring a flashlight) and inspect the area for water damage or leaks.
If you have any issues with your inspection give us a call! We service gutters all the time in the Denver and Colorado Springs areas and are experienced in winterizing your house by protecting it with perfect seamless gutter systems!